Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Brunei will send female athletes to the London games for the first time. Read about it on CNN here
Are you interested in learning more about our local Somali Community? Join us for another Cultural Awareness Series focusing on the vibrant Somali community in King County. There is no cost to participate. Please share this invitation with anyone you think might be interested in participating. To RSVP please e-mail: email@example.com or call 206-709-4528.
Space is limited.
- · General Overview of Recent History and Reasons Driving Immigration
- · Background on the diverse Somali Community in King County
- · Role of Religion for Somalis
- · Cultural Do’s and Don’t’s
- · Somali Cuisine and Lunch
- · Somali Greetings and Helpful Phrases
- · Outreach Strategies
- · Challenges of being a Somali Woman Immigrant
- · Social Health Issues
- Suufi Mohamed Sheikh Hassan: Community Leader/ Sufi Imam/ Heads Service Center Afrique/ Commissioner for Immigrants & Refugees for City of Seattle
- Director, Refugee and Immigrant Community Health (RICH)/Manager of Hope Academic Enrichment Center
- Farhiya Mohamed:SW Youth and Family Services Somali Family Advocate / Seattle Public Library / Red Cross Disaster Action Team & Language Bank Volunteer
Please plan on attending one of our orientations (about 30 minutes). This will count towards your service-learning hours and give you a sense of the program.
Tuesday, April 3rd: 4:00
Thursday, April 5th: 11:00
Thursday, April 5th: 2:00
All orientations will take place in the Basic Studies office. We are on the third floor of the main Seattle Central campus (corner of Pine and Broadway) in room 3122.